Municipal Tax Information

Tax Rate

The City of Chardon has a 2% income tax which is due from anyone, 18 years of age or older, who lives or works in the city and earns wages.

Mandatory Filing

The City of Chardon has mandatory filing; therefore, all residents, 18 years of age or older, shall file a return or exemption certificate (including retired persons, welfare recipients, etc.) on or before April 15 of each year whether or not tax is due.


The City of Chardon offers a 50% credit to city residents who pay a local income tax in another community. The 50% credit is calculated based on the tax rate where you live and work, whichever is less. If you live in the city, you must pay the city income tax. There are no provisions in the law permitting communities to share monies collected through income taxes.

Taxable Income

Income from wages, salaries, commissions, profit from rents, profit from business and prizes and awards such as lottery winnings are subject to the tax.

Declaration of Estimated Income

Every resident who anticipates taxable income, and does not have the City of Chardon tax withheld by an employer, must file a declaration estimating their income and the estimated tax due. The estimate shall be filed by April 15 of each year and shall be accompanied by payment of at least 1/4 the estimated tax due. Bills will then be mailed to you for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarterly payments. However, you should be aware that a penalty may be imposed if, by December 15, you have not paid at least 90% of the tax due on your actual gross income for the preceding calendar year.


Forms are available on the Regional Income Tax Agency's (RITA's) website. If you would like the forms mailed to you, please contact RITA at 800-860-7482.

These reports can be emailed.


City regulations prohibit the paying of refunds that are more than three years old. If you are due a refund, please make your claim promptly.


Residents with questions can contact Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) (800-860-7482) or the City Deputy Tax Administrator, Barbara Raikes, (440-286-2696).

Owners of Rental Properties in the City of Chardon

If you own rental property in the City of Chardon you are responsible for filing an annual city tax return. As a property owner you are subject to a tax rate of 2% of the net income of the rental property.

It is also mandatory for every property owner of rental property to submit a list to the Tax Administrator of names and addresses of all persons, occupying, leasing or renting the premises. The required list shall be submitted within 30 days of any change in tenant status.

Any further questions regarding the City tax should be directed to the Deputy Tax Administrator, Barbara Raikes, at 440-286-2696.